Some tips to prevent acid reflux/ heart burn problem12 July 2021
Acid reflux now a days is a common problem and much of the problem can also be attributed to the type of life style which a person is following like sedentary habits, unhealthy eating habits, stress etc. But one can alleviate this problem to certain extent by improving and changing the life style and adopting healthy habits. We are providing some tips which one can easily adopt to get relief from the symptoms of acid reflux disease.
1. Control the body weight: Obesity and increased body weight increases the intra-abdominal pressure and may trigger the back flow of the acid from the stomach into the esophagus or into the larynx. It is very important to keep the weight under control as obesity may also lead to other more serious problems like diabetes, hypertension etc.
2. Avoid foods that increases the problem: It is advisable to avoid foods that may trigger the symptoms like fatty or fried food, spicy food, carbonated beverages. I should also avoid chocolates, citrus and sour foods.
3. Eat small and frequent meals: Eating large meals to the full of stomach often leads to increased pressure in the abdomen which can push the food content with acid in to the food pipe and mouth also. Eating big meals also slows the metabolism. Eating smaller frequent meals not only reduces the reflux of the stomach contents, it also improves the metabolism and can also help in controlling weight.
4. Do not lie right after having the meal: One should wait for 2-3 hours before lying down after having food. Lying immediately may increase the pressure in stomach and also on lower esophageal sphincter leading to the reflux. Walking for some time after meal is advisable as it also prevents the food from coming back in the esophagus.
5. Sleep with bed in incline position: Lying with shoulder and head higher than the stomach prevents the stomach content to come up due to gravity. One should place a wooden block beneath the pods of bed at the head end. Keeping an extra pillow below the head is not fruitful in this scenario.
6. Avoid smoking and alcohol: Nicotine weakens the tone in the lower esophageal sphincter and it also increase the acid production. Alcohol also increases the symptoms of acid reflux disease.
7. Decrease the stress: Stress can lead to behavior which can cause heart burn like over eating. Meditation, enough good quality sleep and eating a balance diet are helpful in reducing stress thereby reducing heart burn.